Saturday, December 12, 2009

If I stay, by Gayle Forman




Don't start reading If I stay until you have time to finish it. If you are like me, you won't want to put it down. Several of you told me that I needed to read this one, and you were so right, I do love this story. The story concerns Mia, a 17-year-old girl and classical musician, who is the sole survivor of a car crash that takes the lives of her entire family. Badly wounded in the crash, the story takes place in the space of 2 days while Mia is hovering between life and death. In flashbacks we get to know her parents, little brother, her best friend, and her indie-rock boyfriend, among others. Yes, it's a sad story, but it is more than that. The relationships are real and interesting - her parents relationship, her friendship with Kim, and especially the romance between her and Adam - all are important to the story. The end is hard hitting. I won't give it away here though.


The movie rights have been sold for this book, and Catherine Hardwicke, the director of Twilight, will be directing this movie. Bring hankies.

No comments: